Why not make 2013 a truly happy and memorable year with a visit to northeast Florida’s beautiful Amelia Island? It is an exciting time to visit – especially with the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Re-Imagiantion re-opening in March! Amelia Island was recently chosen by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler as a top US Island, for the sixth consecutive year. And speaking of tops, here is my list of the top 13 things to do on Amelia Island in 2013.
1. Fly just a few feet off the ground or up to a thousand feet or more above ground, Air Amelia offers “trike” flying for visitors.
2. 50th Annual Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival on May 3-5
3. Dine at one of the distinctive Amelia Island restaurants
4. The 19th Century Fort Clinch State Park
5. Fernandina Beach’s Charming Historic Centre Street
6. View wild horses on Cumberland Island from Amelia River Cruises
8. Horse-drawn carriage ride through historic downtown Fernandina Beach
9. Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga with Kayak Amelia – use your paddleboard as your yoga mat!
10. Horseback riding along the breathtaking Atlantic shoreline
11. Florida’s first spoken history museum – Amelia Island Museum of History
12. One of Amelia’s luxurious spas designed to relax, rejuvenate and refine – try the amazing 80-minute Seaside Sensory Journey at The Spa at Omni Amelia Island Plantation
13. Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, held on August 23 and 24 at Main Beach