It’s that time of year again where everyone makes a resolution to lose weight and get fit! But many weight loss and fitness plans are inherently flawed. They work on part of you, so they only partially work. However, yoga focuses on all of you! Yoga is a system of physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation to promote body and mental strength. Learn the top 10 reasons to do yoga and then visit us at The Spa on Wednesdays and Saturdays to enjoy a great Amelia Island yoga class! Make a resolution this year for a new you, in the new year!
1. Increased Flexibility: Yoga helps to improve flexibility and mobility. Each yoga pose targets specific muscles while also keeping them warm and flexible, thus reducing the chance of injury. Yoga helps to improve body alignment resulting in better posture. Back, neck, and joint problems can also be solved by doing yoga properly.
2. Increased Strength and Stamina: Yoga postures use all the muscles in the body. This helps to increase strength of every muscle from head to toe. Yoga acts in a wholesome manner on the various body parts. This stimulation of the organs benefits us by keeping away disease too.
3. Greater Body Awareness: Yoga requires you to contract or relax specific muscles as you stretch into each pose, thereby increasing awareness of the body’s weaknesses and strengths.
4. Weight Control: Yoga is a very good medium to control and manage your weight. By doing yoga you can reduce carbohydrate level as well as burn excess calories. Most importantly, this can be done much less vigorously.
5. Stress Reduction: Yoga helps to soothe and control the mind and lower stress levels. It helps to focus on the present, increases concentration and improves memory.
6. Better Breathing: Yoga teaches you to take slow and deep breaths to help lung function and increase the amount of oxygen available in the body. It is a very good practice for those who suffer from Asthma or any kind of breathing trouble.
7. Mind & Body Connection: Yoga helps to control mind and body so it increases your ability to focus on a single object and subject. Yoga meditation dramatically improves your concentration level to benefit both mind and body.
8. Increases Energy: Yoga exercises work to activate and balance your energy pathways, giving you the vitality and power you need to maximize your potential.
9. Better Circulation: Yoga poses are excellent for improving blood circulation to your legs, arms and the entire body. Yoga also helps in problems related to the brain. It increases the blood and oxygen flow to your brain thus making it function in a healthy manner along with the rest of your body.
10. Inner Peace and Joy: The meditative aspects of yoga help many to reach a deeper, more spiritual and more satisfying place in their lives. With the maturing of a yoga practice, the beauty and depth of life become more apparent and spontaneous joy of existence emerges.
Tips courtesy of http://healthmad.com.
The Spa offers Amelia Island yoga classes twice a week at 10:00 a.m. in the spa tree house. Classes on Wednesday are hosted with Debby and Saturdays by Heather. Come and practice with us, it feels good, and face it, we ALL want to feel good!